Golden State should repeat as NBA champions. Our computers say it’s almost a 50% chance. While Houston has a slight chance at the upset, the safe money is with the Warriors.
The odds of anyone else taking the title are pretty slim. Here’s our probability breakdown:
Golden State – 47.6%
Houston – 25%
Toronto – 8.9%
Philadelphia – 7.2%
Cleveland – 5.1%
Boston – 3.2%
Utah – 2.2%
New Orleans 1.1%
Now a look at each series:
Toronto Raptors (1) – Cleveland Cavaliers (4)
Cleveland’s odds of winning the series are only 33.6% . The Raptors probability of rebounding and taking it are 66.4%. If Cleveland pulls off an upset it go take the full seven games.
Boston Celtics (2) – Philadelphia 76ers (3)
Boston’s chances of downing the 76ers is only 28.4% with Philly’s probability at 70.6%.
Houston Rockets (1) – Utah Jazz (5)
Houston’s probability of winning is 80.3% with Utah’s just 19.7%. This series is likely to game six games.
Golden State Warriors (2) – New Orleans Pelicans (6)
Golden State’s probability of taking down New Orleans is 93.2%. The Pelicans’ chances of advancing is just 6.8 per cent. The Warriors’ probability of pulling off a sweep is 26% and there’s a 27% probability it lasts six games.
Curry’s return makes Warriors the favorites
Our computers say Golden State should win a second straight NBA title, but may get some opposition from Houston. The combined probability of an Eastern team being crowned champions is below 25% with the Raptors and 76ers being slight threats. With Steph Curry back on the court, Golden State’s the safest bet.